Mixed

7/31/2012


Blouse: Aryn K via Stitchfix
Skirt: J Crew
Shoes: Marc Jacobs (Similar with straps)
Earrings: Jewel Mint
Bangle: Bauble Bar (Similar)
Sunglasses: Gucci





I truly believe there is no more perfect piece of clothing than the pencil skirt.  You have to know which length is right for you, but when you figure that out, a pencil skirt is the most flattering cut of all.  It's magic because no matter your shape or size, a good pencil skirt can cure all kinds of figure woes.  I personally have never been happy with the width of my hips, and with added years and a sedentary job, they've only gotten wider.  But I put on this magical pencil skirt, and it's all better.  This J Crew skirt was the last thing I bought before the ban began.  I had been looking at for weeks, and finally decided that if I didn't buy it, I would always regret it.  I paired it with this billowy blouse, but next time, I'm going to put something more tailored on top to let the gorgeous pattern really stand out.

Speaking of patterns, I'm feeling like I'm probably the only blogger left in the universe who has not done a mixed pattern post.  The main reason is that I really don't like mixed patterns.  Even on people whose style I normally admire, I just don't get it.  But when Marion at Marionberry Style posted the Trend of the Month Challenge to mix patterns, I had to try.  Mind you, a few days before she posted, I had come home from work only to find my work-from-home consultant husband wearing plaid shorts and a striped shirt.  In response to said outfit, I posted this photo on Instagram as an homage to his style.


I worked with much trepedation looking for the perfect patterns to match that wouldn't look too ridiculous.  I did copious amounts of research trying to come up with something that I could actually wear out of the house.  I decided to pair my new lovely skirt with stripes because we all know the only thing I love second to this skirt now is stripes.  I followed the advice to match the colors of the print, and this is what I came up with.


But I couldn't do it.  I couldn't go out of the house.  It felt like plaid shorts and a striped shirt (Sorry sweetheart, I mean that in the nicest possible way).

One last question for you.  My family does not like it when I wear my hair up.  An almost collective groan goes through the house when I intentionally style it up to wear out of the house.  However, I do not care.  Some days are just meant to wear your hair up.  Are there any things you do despite being "advised" that you are better suited not to?

Also linked to: Monday Mingle
                        What I Wore Wednesday
                        Whatever, Whenever Wednesday

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook